Many people talk about how mold is dangerous, and usually they specifically mention that black mold can be particularly deadly. However, many people don’t understand why black mold is so terrible to have in your home, business, or school.
You have likely been told time and time again that mold is the most dangerous pest that could invade your home, but sometimes it is difficult to detect. It could be hiding in damp places behind the wall, in the attic, or in other nondescript places.
It is wise to take care of the mold right away, whether you need to call a professional to make sure that all the mold is properly take care of or whether you just want to try to tackle the problem yourself to save money, and this is why:
The biggest health concern happens when the mold spores are inhaled, though you can also become infected if you touch the mold. When inhaled, the mold spores can cause the following symptoms:
- Runny nose
- Nasal dripping
- Nasal congestion
- Asthma-like symptoms
If left undiagnosed and untreated, some mold can form a type of fungal ball inside your lungs, which grows and lives off the lungs, releasing carcinogens into your tissues every time you inhale or exhale.
Black mold can also have a seriously adverse effect on the nervous system. People affected by the black mold can experience symptoms such as: nervous system depression, fatigue, headaches, dizziness, and exhaustion.
One type of mold can cause serious neurological damage and is sometimes used in chemical and biological warfare. If you are experiencing strange neurological problems, go talk to your doctor right away.
Oftentimes, it is difficult to identify that the symptoms are a result of a mold infestation. However, one way to tell is to pay attention to how you or the person that might be affected reacts and functions when they are in a different environment. For instance, if all the symptoms clear up when the person is on vacation but return when they come home, it is likely that there is a mold problem in the home.
Damage to Your Home and Its Value
Mold usually begins when there is a leak or other kind of damp environment in the home. Your house is especially vulnerable if you did not have a flooded basement properly remediated. Mold spores can begin to grow in one or two days and spread quickly. When they reach the ventilation system of your home, that is when the inhabitants will start experiencing severe respiratory symptoms.
While the mold is growing and spreading, it feeds on the surface it is attached to, which eventually will disintegrate the surface or make it completely unusable. Mold can eat anything from wood to leather. Because mold eats wood, it can cause serious structural damage to the floorboards or to the beams of your home without you noticing.
If the mold colonies become too widespread throughout your home or apartment building, the cost of mold remediation might become more than the value of the building. A building that is mold-infested cannot be sold and sometimes must be demolished or burned to get rid of all the mold spores that could be released into the air.
When mold has infiltrated your home, you can’t simply clean it out. Aggravating the mold at all will cause it to release more spores into the air. Oftentimes, to take care of the problem and ensure that the mold will not come back, a professional disaster cleanup agency needs to be called.
Now That You Know…
Knowing the symptoms of black mold is the first step for looking out for it. If you think that you have a mold problem in your home, have a disaster cleanup company come to check it out right away!